Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's not quite a MASH episode.

Being real life, it's much more complicated. On my way over to our lab trailer I saw someone hauling some gear and found out she was taking some warm clothing over to the dorms to some of the people who'd returned. Jonas (I wasn't going to use people's names, but I have to say I couldn't not use his name in my last entry, seeing as I've shared meals and movie night and wisecracks with the guy) brought 5 people back (the normal load is 4) and has gone over to Galbraith airstrip to refuel. I asked one of the PIs if he's really equipped to fly in the dark and the answer was that he's really not, but it turns out the Itkillik group is only 14 miles away, and he may be able to use the river's reflection of the twilit sky to get the second group. Two of the people in that group now waiting by the river share our lab with us.

The other two people, at Anaktuvuk, are much farther away and impossible to retrieve at this point. I know one of them slightly, and just recently met the other, who is here for only a short term.

Meanwhile, those that returned have been provided with warm clothes, food, and have been moved to the warmer trailer dorms rather than the vinyl weatherports to spend the night in. The camp manager said that he has re-stoked the sauna too.

Re-fueling will take about a half hour, and at this time of night it's not completely dark (2 am is "solar midnight" up here when the sun is at its lowest point).

I hear him. At least I think it's him. It's way darker now too. Jonas be careful, be safe!

Yep, that's him, he's coming back. I'm sure he's been in contact with his flight coordinator on what he should do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment