Saturday, June 6, 2009

I have never been to Alaska, and I can barely grasp what awaits me.

Tomorrow morning I fly to Fairbanks. I'm a middle aged married woman who has just earned a Master of Science degree one year shy of my 50th birthday. I've always been a nature lover but never thought it would translate into a journey to one of the remotest corners of the planet. Watching programs like Nova or Nature made me envious of the people interviewed, tanned and rugged scientists, people with tough constitutions and supercomputing minds. That doesn't exactly fit my description. But I was offered this position, and I may never get this opportunity again. What do I hope to gain? Experience in a remote area studying the effects of climate change on tundra plants. I've worked my way through school at the University for nearly 8 years, and this is my first chance to do a summer research internship. I hope it opens doors, translates into a full time position in conservation biology. I have always loved plants, and could easily spend the rest of my life studying them. I'm not yet decided on whether I want to launch into a doctoral degree. For now I'd like to be outside learning stuff and getting paid to do it!

I'm sitting in an internet cafe in my town, Evanston, which reminds me of Mayberry. I love Evanston, love the two-flat I rent with my husband Joe and I love our 94 1/2 year old landlady who lives on the first floor. Tomorrow I'll be in Fairbanks. On Monday, orientation at the University. On Tuesday, we truck up to the tundra. I'm going to a vast, remote, mostly cold, very wild and unspoiled place. For the whole summer. Am I prepared? My husband stuffed a giant backpack with my clothes, toiletries and sleeping bag. It weighs fifty pounds ("No, it's only about twenty," he said, cheerfully hefting the thing onto his back). I can't even lift it. But he says there will be people along the way to help me. If it sounds like this is my very first trip, it's not. It's just different. And I'll be away from him, our soft bed, our little garden, our family and friends. For ninety days. I had the graduation/going away party, the dinners with family and friends, the farewell bike ride with the gang. I had margaritas and guacamole and fresh fruit salad last night, as I have the feeling these things are pretty rare where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment